To be honest I am not really one for vintage sewing or having my photo taken so this is a real treat. I bought this pattern at the Knitting and Stitching show a few years ago from Sew Lah Di Dah because I liked the style of the dress which I though would be flattering for a pear shape like me.
It is described as the perfect go-to day dress and I love it. I love it so much that I have made 3 of them. It is superbly flattering for a pear shape like me. I made the first 2 versions a couple of years ago but they never made it to the blog. Since then I have put on a bit of weight but the dresses still fit well.
This is the first version made in a red floral fabric which I thought went well with the vintage look:
I didn’t have much trouble with the pattern although I did a muslin first and there were a few fitting issues requiring some editing. As you can see below my finished bodice pattern was vastly different from the original. However this is not unusual for me as I have a narrow chest and shoulders but am full busted:
The instructions were clear and some nice photos although there were no instructions about inserting the collar. I hope this has been rectified in later pattern edits. It wasn’t a problem as I used my common sense. I fully lined the dress in a white polycotton. I did have some gaping in the central bust area at the seamline where it joined the skirt but I inserted a piece of elastic to pull it in. I still can’t recall why I put a dart in instead of gathering but there you go!
For my second version I decided to make a sleeveless version – I did like the sleeves but wanted to make it a bit different:
I like this version but not as much as the red one – not sure I will keep it. It may end up in the charity bag.
Having left the pattern alone I came back to it this year for my latest version. This is where I made a fatal error and cut the front on the fold along the seam line. This left me with a problem on the front which I solved by adding a placket – my newly found technique from Butterick 6099
I bought this material from a market stall in St Ives on the last bank holiday. This stall was a real find as I have seen the same fabrics in John Lewis for double the price. This is a cotton fabric with a bit of stretch in it which I managed to overstretch on the sleeve hem but this is still my favourite version.
From Sew Lah Di Dah:
And in case you thought Blitz was only suitable for daywear, think again! Use silk or velvet, and get creative with the collar using vintage or embroidered lace – or better still, remove it altogether and finish with a ribbon bow fastening – the possibilities are as endless as your fabric stash!
This is very true. I ha thought about making another version in a posh fabric. For the moment I have a sewing queue as long as your arm so will revisit later.